Souvenir of Mount Lyell
MetadataShow full item record
Access StatusOpen Access
PA/241. 24 photographs, in a leather bound presentation album, of mining and railway activities in western Tasmania. Inscribed on the cover "Souvenir of Mount Lyell", Inscribed on the frontispiece "F. Earns Driffield Esqre C.E. Superintending engineer Mt Lyell M. and R. Cos Railway Department, Queenstown, Tasmania ...As a small token of our appreciation....On behalf of the Railway Department We are Dear Sir, Yours sincerely: (signed) General Manager and 18 others.
The Mt. Lyell Mining and Railway Company was formed in 1892 to exploit rich silver and copper lodes ar Mt. Lyell on Tasmania's west coast. By World War One, the company has absorbed its competitiors to become the dominant mining and smelting company on the field. In 1964, control of the company passed to the British controlled Consolidated Gold Fields Ltd.
KeywordsMining; Railways; Mt Lyell; Mount Lyell; Tasmania
- Click on "Export Reference in RIS Format" and choose "open with... Endnote".
- Click on "Export Reference in RIS Format". Login to Refworks, go to References => Import References