Foy & Gibson newsletters
AuthorFoy & Gibson
PublisherFoy & Gibson, Collingwood
MetadataShow full item record
Access StatusOpen Access
Cover titles vary: Manufacture, service, distribution (masthead, Oct. 1947) -- Service (Feb. 1948-Feb. 1959) -- Foy's news service of the month (v.1, no. 8, Nov. 1959; v. 2, no., Feb. 1960-v. 7, no. 5, June, 1965) -- Cox Bros newsletter (no. 4, Feb. 1960) -- Woolies news (1967).
"This is the staff magazine of 'The Foy family' which comprises Foy's retail stores, Melbourne, Prahran, Collingwood, and Adelaide [and] Eagley Mills, Collingwood; Retail office, Sydney; Mill office, Sydney; Mill representative, Brisbane; O. Gilpin Limited, Malvern warehouse and 92 stores throughout Victoria, New south Wales, South Australia and Tasmania; Foy & Gibson, London Limited and our 'cousins' in Foy & Gibson, W.A. Limited."
Contains articles written by staff and others, on general topics presumed by the management to be of interest to Foy & Gibson staff; with photographs, illustrations and some biographical information.
Originally issued under the title: All shoulders to the wheel (pre-1936).
Foy & Gibson (also known as Foys) was one of Australia's earliest department store chains, modelled on Le Bon Marché in Paris and other European and American stores of the period. A large range of goods were manufactured and sold by the company including clothing, manchester, leather goods, soft furnishings, furniture, hardware and food. The first store was established as a drapery in Smith Street, Collingwood, Victoria by Mark Foy. Ownership of this business was transferred to his son Francis Foy in partnership with Willam Gibson in March, 1883. Francis Foy later sold his half share of the business to Gibson and moved to Sydney, establishing Mark Foys there. Gibson established a branch of the business in Perth and subsequently opened a store in Brisbane in 1903 and another in Rundle Street, Adelaide in 1907. In 1955, the company was bought out by Cox Brothers and in 1964, Foy & Gibson (WA) Ltd, including ten stores in Western Australia, was sold to David Jones. The Bourke Street Melbourne store was sold to Woolworths in 1967. [From Wikipedia, viewed May 5, 2011]
Gibson's partnership with Mark Foy was dissolved after a disagreement in mid-1884, and William Gibson became the sole proprietor. By the early 20th century Gibson's store and manufacturing works, one of the largest employers in Victoria, dominated the Wellington and Smith Streets area [of Collingwood, Melbourne]. A second store - the Big Store - opened in Chapel Street, Prahran, in 1902. After Gibson died in 1918, the firm was carried on by his nephew John Maclellan until it was taken over in 1955 by Cox Brothers, which went into liquidation in 1968. Source: http://www.emelbourne.net.au/biogs/EM00605b.htm
This material has been made available as permitted under section 200AB of the Copyright Act 1968. This material is subject to copyright and any further reproduction, communication, publication, performance, or adaptation is only permitted with permission from the copyright owner or subject to copyright legislation in your jurisdiction.
Alternative titles: Newsletter Service, Foy's news service of the month
Keywordsretail stores; Australia; department stores; Victoria; Melbourne; shopping centres; Perth; Western Australia; Brisbane; Queensland; Adelaide; South Australia
- Click on "Export Reference in RIS Format" and choose "open with... Endnote".
- Click on "Export Reference in RIS Format". Login to Refworks, go to References => Import References