KeywordsPublishers; Music promotors
Louise B. M. Dyer [later Hanson-Dyer] (1884-1962), an Australian patron of music from Melbourne, founded the publishing company Éditions de l'Oiseau-Lyre in Paris in 1932, where it remained until moving to Monaco in 1948. Louise Dyer's aims were to publish good modern scholarly editions of early music and to support young contemporary composers by commissioning and publishing new works. After her first husband died in 1938, Louise Dyer married Joseph B. (Jeff) Hanson (1910-1971) and they worked together to build a catalogue of fine editions of music ranging from the thirteenth to the twentieth centuries. They also built an extensive catalogue of recordings which Jeff Hanson continued after Louise's death. In 1970 he sold the recording business to the Decca Record Company, London. From 1971 to 1996, Éditions de l'Oiseau-Lyre was run by J.B. Hanson's second wife, Margarita M. Hanson. On her retirement in 1995 the Board of Directors named Davitt Moroney as Président Délégué; and in 2001, Kenneth Gilbert. As the result of donations to the University of Melbourne given by both Louise Hanson-Dyer and J.B. Hanson, all the company's publications from 1979 were produced with the financial assistance of the University of Melbourne. From 1988, the company operated as Éditions de l'Oiseau-Lyre SAM (Société Anonyme Monégasque) and, from 1990 until its closure in 2013, was owned and managed by the Lyrebird Trust, of which the University is a Trustee. In 2013 Éditions de l'Oiseau-Lyre ended its presence in Europe and reverted to the parent holding, Lyrebird Press, at the University of Melbourne. The Éditions de l'Oiseau-Lyre archive is now one of the University's Rare Music collections.