Union House and lane from 1931. At this stage, the building was available for the use of students but was depressingly shabby and offered few facilities. Men and women were provided with separate quarters and there were some complaints about this. The common room, to all intents and purposes, excluded women, and the billiards room remained unchallenged as a masculine stronghold. A copy of this photograph formed part of 1993 UMSU exhibition "Union House: An Architectural History" in the George Paton Gallery.