Now showing 1 - 4 of 4
ItemMap of the University Grounds(1900)Notable features include the National Museum which became the Union in 1910; the site which housed the Union cafeteria from 1921 until 1938 when the new building was opened; and the old quadrangle which housed the first Union rooms and the Princess Ida Parlour.
ItemPrincesses at play (The fantasy)Vincent, Alfred (1897)The cartoon derives from a complaint made by Professor Harrison Moore about noise made by members of the Princess Ida Club. The potential for rowdy activity in the small parlour is obviously limited but the mystery surrounding this early ancestor of our Women's Room would have been tantalising. A copy of this cartoon was included in the 1993 UMSU exhibition "Union House: An Architectural History" in the George Paton Gallery.
ItemPrincess Ida Parlour, 1897 (The reality)(1897)The Princess Ida Club, formed in 1888, was for 28 years the heart of University social life for women. The name of the club was taken from the popular Gilbert and Sullivan operetta Princess Ida which told the story of a university which no man could enter. A copy of this photograph was included in the 1993 UMSU exhibition "Union House: An Architectural History" in the George Paton Gallery.