The monthly School Paper began in 1896 and was used in Class III to inform children of current international events. It was entrusted to the Board of Examiners which included Charles Long, and was distinguished by its increasing focus on Australian content, whilst still upholding the moral values and beliefs of the British Empire. All children were required to purchase a copy as it was compulsory reading for children until the 1930s, by which time the School Papers supplemented the compulsory Victorian Readers. Later, separate papers were produced for Classes IV, V and VI as well as an edition for Tasmania and Western Australia.
Usage statement: This material is out of copyright. For re-use, please attribute to Archives and Special Collections, University of Melbourne.